Thursday, June 22, 2006

Yes, in the last month 54 plants have been stolen. But, at the same time, I recovered irises, lillies and a peony from Julie's yard as she was clearing some space. (Some of them got stolen--the peony was about to bloom, that one hurt-- but I consoled myself that I'd rescued the plants from the garbage anyways.) Julie also divided some bamboo for me. Crocosmia from my parents' garden, daisies from the side of hwy #1, geraniums from the neighbours and various plant divisions from my own yard have made their way to the garden.

This, in general, maybe a better way to go. It's inexpensive and if they're stolen, more is readily available!

I had debated for weeks about whether to plant periwinkle in the shade plot. (I know, don't I have anything better to do? But I'm not constantly thinking about it, it's just on my mind as I look at other gardens as I walk around the neighbourhood.) While periwinkle tolerates shade, it can sperad rapidly and if left unattended, it can really take over and look a bit scruffy.

Finally, I decided that I didn't really want a ground cover, I was going for a mixed border look. But, the following week, someone had plunked a handful of periwinkle into the soil! I quickly watered it and it's taken hold beautifully! I threw all of my debating out the window--who can argue with random acts of kindness? Not only was it a thoughtful anonymous act, but it meant to me that someone else in the community was taking a little ownership of the garden too. How ironic that someone had planted periwinkle, I wondered if they had knowingly planted it in a shade spot or if it had been coincidence.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Maybe the person who stole some of the other stuff was attempting to pay back a little! Who knows.

It sounds like quite an adventure!

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»