Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Amazing things grow in Vancouver!

Before I really get into the guerrilla gardening projects, I think I'll post some photos from our yard. Most things have been planted by other people but we get to enjoy them.

I've been really into container gardening at home. After moving from a hot dry climate, I was impressed by how many things can be grown in containers in Vancouver. I have about 45 pots on the go right now, from asparagus, spinach and rasberries to daylillies, clematis and a willow tree. It's a lot of fun!

Hopefully this blog won't be too confusing. I thought of making a few different ones, one for the yard, one for my project gardens and possibly one for plants I see when I'm out and about but that's just going to make my life too complicated on my end. SO hopefully you can follow, this will basically serve as a window into my world of gardening! KB




I bought these irises a few years ago at the Strathcona Community Garden sale for a few dollars. They were small when I bought them but they're at least 1.5m tall! I planted them in this marshy spot... this is the first year they've bloomed and there's 7-8 blooms at a time!












I like the headless angel with the rhododendrons. There's all kinds of interesting sculptures hiding out in the garden.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Yay!!! I can't wait to see pics of your guerilla gardening efforts!!

My gravel back alley (in that hot dry climate you speak of) is now full of daisies, summer cypress, morning glories, and a peony about to bloom. The poppies are growing aggresively, too, as is the tansy.

So is mine a guerilla gravel garden? Great!