Thursday, September 21, 2006

the book

I haven't read it yet, but here it is! Guerrilla gardening : how to create gorgeous gardens for free / Barbara Pallenberg ; illustrations by Cathy Pavia ; photographs by Lou Gaines.

I just found it in the library catalogue today, but it's checked out at the moment. I let you know how it is! Looks cute and right up my alley...

Sept is a busy season!! I've got over 16 types of bulbs and seeds to get planted and over ten kinds of plants to transplant now that it's cooled off. I'm also ready to invade my friends' yards and take any plants they don't want!

Getting ready for one such event yesterday, I was trucking some extra soil back and forth from the shop to the CN triangle. There was a woman(about 10 yrs older than me?) working the streets where I was buzzing about and she asked "why the garden? Just because?" She told me she liked gadening too. I said ya I want to plant gardens everywhere, I'm addicted to gardening. "That's ONE addiction that's ok!" she said to me.

It was a warmer day yesterday and the whole neighbourhood was buzzing with activity--women working, johns, users, people everywhere... on top of the people working in all of the local businesses. I actually saw one woman with a pimp (I'm quite sure), you don't see that often in that neighbourhood. It was such a strange feeling to watch it all in action. She seemed so thin and timid, but not overly timid, he was lurking in the shadows and then would periodically come and talk to her. He was so disrespectful to her. It's so hard to imagine the circumstances that can cause a woman to end up in that situation. It takes exploitation to a whole new level, just factoring even one more person into the equation. At times like that, it's really hard to get "I Live Off You" by the X-Ray Spex out of my head.

One woman who is very often around whenever I go gardening (the one who initially helped me haul soil) is always ready to chat and joke with me. It's nice to see a friendly face. So many faces in the area are vacant. Anyways, every now and then I happen to be there when she gets picked up. I hate seeing that. I wonder what it's like for her. She seems quite cheerful about it. I know it's her bread and butter (literally), if she hasn't had a client for a few days she complains to me about being hungry. Maybe I should just feed her. I can't tell if she's trying to manipulate me and I want our friendship to stay friends--equals--if I start taking care of her I don't want to change our friendship to someone she can use... But maybe I shouldn't think so much and just feed her. I mean, really wouldn't it be better if she had food and therefore even prostituted herself just one less time? That may be over-simplified. I don't think there are any rules about relationships. Everyone and every situation is different. It takes wisdom and readiness to be moved by the Spirit! Just some thoughts.

By the way... if anyone has a wheelbarrow they'd like to donate or a garden hose, I would be greatly appreciative. Also, if any of you have seeds to collect from plants in your yard or need some plants to be thinned out, I'm your lady!! Any plant donations can be put to good use! I'll try get some garden photos up here soon. The Zinnias are looking really colorful and beautiful.

1 comment:

Paula said...

There's a book??? Weeee!!!