Thursday, July 27, 2006

aah

I'm so relieved... we finally finished moving the pile of dirt tonight. There was a fair bit left (you can see it in the right of the dirt picture below). We shared a bit of it but then a few of my friends came out tonight and helped me wheel the rest of it to the CN triangle. The fever's catching! A few people have asked if they could do some gardening on the plots and a few people have asked if they could bring some plants down and plant them. Probably about 4 offers by now! It's a great feeling, that I'm not in this on my own. I remember the feeling I had after I started the first sun garden and shade garden: I just thought 'what have I done??' I felt like I'd bitten off way more than I could chew. This time though it seems totally manageable. Maybe because I have some experience under my belt and some suitable plants ready to go in when the weather's right. Maybe because the gardening's beginning to feel like a community effort. It was so fun to see who came out of the woodwork to help with the garden. Hopefully I've made some new garden buddies for some future garden sessions! I wouldn't mind approaching a few businesses for donations of plants and/or bulbs... not sure if I feel brave enough for that yet. We'll see. Now the question remains: why do I feel so passionate about beautifying the city when I can't even keep my own kitchen clean??

2 comments:

Paula said...

Community doesn't "just happen". Someone has to be doing something, and you are that someone. Awesome!

Can anybody keep their kitchen clean? I certainly can't. But I can grow some flowers on a patch of dirt. That I can do.

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»